In a move to prioritize user experience, privacy, and security, WhatsApp has announced its decision to discontinue support for Android phones running Android OS version 4.1 or older, effective from October 24.
This update aligns with WhatsApp’s ongoing commitment to offering cutting-edge features and robust security measures to its users.
WhatsApp, the widely used messaging platform with over two billion users worldwide, frequently updates its platforms to introduce new features and enhance security.
However, this also means that support for outdated operating systems must be phased out to maintain focus on technological advancements.
A range of older Android devices will be affected by this change, including some popular models from well-known brands:
– Samsung: Devices like Samsung Galaxy Trend Lite, Galaxy Trend II, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3 mini, Galaxy Xcover 2, Galaxy Core, and Galaxy Ace 2.
– LG: LG Lucid 2, Optimus F7, Optimus F5, Optimus L3 II Dual, Optimus F5, Optimus L5, Optimus L5 II, Optimus L5 Dual, Optimus L3 II, Optimus L7, Optimus L7 II Dual, Optimus L7 II, Optimus F6, Enact, Optimus L4 II Dual, Optimus F3, Optimus L4 II, Optimus L2 II, Optimus Nitro HD, 4X HD, and Optimus F3Q.
– Huawei: Huawei Ascend G740, Ascend Mate, Ascend D Quad XL, Ascend D1 Quad XL, Ascend P1 S, and Ascend D2.
– Sony: Sony Xperia Miro, Sony Xperia Neo L, and Xperia Arc S.
– Other brands: Alcatel One Touch Evo 7, Archos 53 Platinum, HTC Desire 500, Caterpillar Cat B15, Wiko Cink Five, Wiko Darknight, Lenovo A820, UMi X2, Faea F1, and THL W8.
WhatsApp plans to notify users on these older devices in advance and prompt them to update their devices multiple times.
Failure to do so will result in the app no longer functioning, rendering users unable to send or receive messages or calls.
For those concerned about whether their smartphone runs on Android OS version 4.1 or older, a quick check can be performed in the device settings. Navigate to “Settings” > “About phone” > “Software information,” where you will find your Android version listed under the “Version” category.