Oyero Abiodun Yakub
Following the start of the 22nd edition of the FIFA men’s World Cup, with a kick-off match between host Qatar and Ecuador at the Al-Bayt stadium, a lot of players are ready to give it their all for their respective countries.
The World Cup tournament will see nations across the world compete for the prestigious cup, with its best players. Over the years, the competition has seen youngsters evolve into stardom after featuring in the tournament. While others who already have the recognition get under the radar of future employers.
Here are 5 players to be on the lookout for at the year 2022 edition of the World Cup
1. Gavi (Spain): The youngest-ever international Spain player is a great dribbler and distributor of the ball, which leads to his comparison with the country’s legend, Andres Iniesta. The Spaniard is the leader of the new generation, as the 2010 champions take a shot at winning the competition again.
2. Jamal Musiala (Germany): The German youngster is set for a key attacking role in Qatar. Jamal is a 2-footed dribbler, scorer, and creator who has shown his competency on the big stage.
3. Bukayo Saka: Saka got his first International tournament experience at Euro 2020. He lost the crucial penalty at the tournament. Since then, the Englishman has grown more confident and influential, and is someone to be on the lookout for at the competition.
4. Vinicius Jr.: The Brazilian youngster has been in top form for his club in the ongoing season. He was also a part of the Real Madrid team that won the UEFA Champions League title.
5. Felix Afena-Gyan: The Ghanaian came to the limelight after he was promoted from the youth team of AS Roma to the senior side. Felix is widely known for his speed, and he is a quick thinker while being in control of the ball.
Other youngsters include Antony (Brazil), Raphinha (Brazil), Pedri (Spain), Jules Kounde (France), Rodrygo (Spain), Eduardo Camaringa (France); amongst others.