Ghazali Ibrahim
Lawmaker representing Surulere Constituency I in the Lagos State House of Assembly, Desmond Elliot, has opened up on why he endorsed the impeachment move against Speaker Mudashiru Obasa during the leadership crisis that rocked the Assembly in January 2025.
Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Tuesday, Elliot explained that he initially believed the move had the approval of President Bola Tinubu and the presidency.
The actor-turned-politician disclosed that he was outside Nigeria when the impeachment happened, saying he had travelled to South Africa with his wife during the Assembly’s recess for a family wedding.
According to him, the news of Obasa’s removal came as a surprise.
“I was not in the country when it happened. My wife and I travelled around January 13, 2025, for her younger sister’s wedding,” Elliot said.
He added that by the time he returned to Nigeria, many lawmakers had already signed the impeachment notice, creating the impression that the action had the backing of the presidency.
“When I got back, I saw that almost everybody had signed and we honestly thought it had the support of the presidency. Based on that belief, I also signed,” he stated.
Elliot further revealed that President Tinubu later intervened and informed lawmakers that the impeachment move did not originate from him.
According to the lawmaker, the president subsequently directed members of the Assembly to reinstate Obasa as Speaker.
“Mr President later called us and clarified that the move was not from him. He asked us to return the Speaker, and we complied,” he said.
Elliot also reacted to claims by President Tinubu’s Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, who reportedly alleged that intelligence linked him to the failed attempt to unseat Obasa.
The Surulere lawmaker expressed disappointment over the allegation, noting that he had maintained a long political relationship with Gbajabiamila.
“I was shocked hearing that from my leader, someone I have worked with and respected for years,” Elliot added.
