The late Reverend Humphrey Olumakaiye who passed on on Monday October 31st was an Archbishop of Lagos Province, Anglican Communion and Bishop of Lagos Diocese
His death was confirmed in a statement by the Synod Secretary, Ven. Segun Ladeinde; and the chancellor, Justice Adedayo Oyebanji who confirmed that he died at 53 said Olumakaiye’s “episcopal sojourn in the Diocese of Lagos and sub the Province was known for phenomenal, physical and spiritual developments”.
Ten Facts About Olumakaiye
1.Olumakaiye was the Bishop of Lagos and Archbishop of the Ecclesiastical Province of Lagos (Anglican Communion), Church of Nigeria having been Bishop of Osun North-East until 2018.
- He was presented as the Archbishop of Lagos Ecclesiastical Province on November 7, 2021 at the Cathedral Church of Advent, Life Camp, Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.
- Olumakaiye was 53 before his death and born on January 28, 1969 at Okene into the family of the Venerable and Mrs. T.A. Olumakaiye.
- He came from Idanre, a town in Ondo State.
- He started his Education at St. Michael’s primary school, die in 1975 and proceeded to Government Secondary School, Omu-Aran, Kwara State in 1982.
- Olumakaiye left Omu-Aran in 1983 to conclude his Secondary education at Cherubim Seraphim Secondary School, Ilorin in 1986.
- Olumakaiye married to Motunrayo Funke, who is a professor and former head of the department of nutrition and consumer sciences, faculty of agriculture, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile -Ife, in Osun State. They had a son, Richard Tunbamise.
- He bagged his first degree in Religious Studies from the University of Ibadan between 1991 and 1993, and a Master’s Degree in Religious Studies in 2001. He went further to obtain a doctorate degree in Church History and Doctrine from the same university.
- He became a deacon in June 1993 and was ordained a priest in December same year by E.A. Ademowo, Bishop of Ilesha Diocese. This was after Olumakaiye’s training and graduation from Immanuel College of Theology.
- He started his ministry at Christ the Saviour Anglican Church, Cappa, Ilesa, Osun State in June 1993.
- Olumakaiye was elected Bishop on May 22, 2009 at age 40 and also consecrated Bishop on Sunday, July 12, 2009 in Yenagoa, Bayelsa state while he was enthroned on Thursday, July 16, 2009 at Cathedral church of St. Philip’s, Otan Ayegbaju as the first Bishop of Anglican Diocese of Osun North-East.
Following a brief illness on Monday October 31, 2022, Olumakaiye gave up the ghost.