Since July 2021, more than 82 thousand terrorists and their families have turned themselves in to the Niger State government.
This was revealed on Monday, November 28, 2022, when Major General Christopher Musa, the Theatre Commander of the North East Joint Operation, Hadin Kai, highlighted the captured Boko Haram militants.
Gen. Musa , who was represented by Colonel Obinna Azuike, the Acting Theater Intelligence Coordinator, also disclosed that the Giwa Centre currently has a total of 1,893 Boko Haram suspects are in custody.
He also disclosed that 886 Boko Haram prisoners who had been tortured were ready to be sent to the Giwa Project in Kainji, Niger State, for trial.
Speaking of the captives, he claimed that 323 were sent to Operation Safe Corridor in Gombe State on September 8, 2022, as part of the federal government’s Deradicalization, Demobilization, and Rehabilitation (DDR) program.
He said, “Out of the surrendered persons, 16,577 were active male fighters, 24,499 are women, while 41,161 are children.
“Information obtained from detailed debriefings of the surrendered terrorists are being continually factored into the operations of the theatre. Such debriefings are routinely undertaken as more fighters continue to surrender in their numbers.
“The current humanitarian situation across the holding centres has remained relatively calm since the cholera outbreak of September this year.
“The epidemic resulted in the death of 62 men, 44 women and 96 children, bringing to a total of 202 deaths.
“Nevertheless, the situation has since been brought under control, with efforts from the State Ministry of Health and several NGOs in the state.
“Also, the commencement of a comprehensive Disarmament, De-radicalization, Rehabilitation and Reintegration programme by the Borno State government, in conjunction with International Organizations and Op Safe Corridor, will positively encourage the surrender of more persons and will be a catalyst to the ongoing peace process.”
Commenting on Chibok girls, Gen Musa said: “Troops of OPHK have within this year alone, rescued 11 of the abducted 2014 GGSS Chibok girls. The first of the girls, Hauwa Joseph, was intercepted along with her child at Ngazua in Bama on June 12, 20 22 by troops of OPHK.
“Secondly, Miss Mary Dauda was rescued along with her child at Gava in Gwoza LGA of Borno State on June 14, 2022, by own troops.
“Similarly, on June 27, 20 22, the third Chibok girl, named Ruth Bitrus, and her child escaped from Ukuba BHT camp in Sambisa and was rescued by own troops in Bama.
“On 25 July 25, 20 22, troops also rescued two Chibok girls, named Kauna Luka, and Hanatu Musa with their children at Aulari in Bama general area.
“Also, the sixth Chibok girl, named Aisha Grema (pregnant) with her 4 year-old child, was rescued by troops in Bama on August 12, 20 22. Aisha Grema hails from Mbalala village in Chibok LGA.
“The seventh Chibok girl to be rescued this year was Falmata Lawal and her child who was rescued by own troops in Bama general area on August 30, 2022. Miss Falmata Lawal hails from Chigi village in Chibok LGA.
“On September 1, 2022, troops also rescued Miss Asabe Ali and her child who escaped from a BHT camp in Gazuwa, Bama LGSA.
“Also, the ninth Chibok girl rescued was Miss Jinkai Yama along with three of her children in Bama on September 2, 2022.
” Additionally, Miss Yana Pogu was the tenth girl rescued along with her four children, while Miss Rejoice Senki was rescued with her two children.
“The rescued girls were handed over to the Borno State government after comprehensive medical examination and initial provision of psycho-social support from the Theatre.
“The statistics of the 276 abducted Chibok School girls indicates that 57 girls escaped in 2014, 107 girls released in 2018; three recovered in 2019; two recovered in 2021 and 11 girls rescued so far in 2022.
“This brings to a total 180 Chibok girls out of captivity, remaining 96 girls still unaccounted for,
However, he said that over 2,018 people—including 339 adult males, 660 adult females, and 1,019 children—have so far been freed from the custody of terrorists this year.
”The Theatre Command OPHK will continue in its quest to rescue other persons held in captivity.
“Additionally, the centre is currently partnering with the Lake Chad Basin Support Programme to establish a database for the preservation of battlefield evidence, forensic investigations, and capacity building for personnel.
“This would address the inherent challenges associated with the prosecution of suspected terrorists. Also, the centre has introduced basic education and skill acquisition programmes for minors and adult detainees in a bid to keep them engaged, useful and valued.
“Physical training exercises and the ability to re-establish and restore family links with their loved ones is also being conducted in the centre, in conjunction with the International Committee of the Red Cross, ICRC.
“These developments have yielded very positive results among the suspects and equally attracted commendations from other partnering organizations.”