by Oyero Abiodun Yakub
In anticipation of the 22nd edition of the FIFA Men’s World Cup to be hosted in Qatar from November 20 to December 18, 2022, several arrangements have been put in place by the host nation for the visiting nations.
Let’s take a closer look at Stadium 974, one of the venues for the upcoming competition in Qatar. The temporary stadium, formerly known as Ras Abu Aboud Stadium, was inaugurated on November 30, 2021, and will be taken down following the event.
Here are some details regarding Stadium 974:
- It is a transitory location constructed from 974 recycled shipping containers. It is the first temporary venue in the history of the FIFA World Cup, and the stadium’s seating and shipping containers will later be disassembled and donated to other developing nations.
- The number 974 pays homage to the area’s industrial history and the dialing code for the nation, +974.
- The stadium is one of eight being converted for the FIFA World Cup in Qatar 2022.
- It is built on a 450,000-square-meter waterfront site, has a modular design, and is perched on an artificial promontory.
- The stadium was ranked 4-stars by the Global Sustainability Assessment System (GSAS)